The Role of Counseling in Drug Rehab: How It Promotes RecoveryYou are here:
The abundance of information about drug rehab often does not include much about the importance of counseling. Different types of counseling may be listed such as group, individual, and family counseling. However, due to a lack of information, many people underestimate the overall importance of counseling in drug rehab programs.
Counseling is a specialized therapy that seeks to help clients identify and manage the underlying causes of substance use. With more than 20 million people struggling with substance use disorders, the need for effective addiction counseling is higher than ever. With this in mind, let’s take a deeper look at the role of rehab counseling.
To fully understand the importance of counseling in drug rehab programs, we should first examine addiction itself.
Root Causes of Addiction
Substance use disorders (addiction) are characterized by compulsive drug or alcohol use despite the consequences. The physical aspect of addiction occurs due to the effects of a substance on the brain’s reward center. As drugs or alcohol interfere with dopamine in the brain, it creates cravings that prompt a person to seek more of the substance.
But, what makes a person use drugs or alcohol in the first place? Some people, especially young adults or teens, use drugs due to peer pressure. Others use drugs or alcohol to self-medicate mental disorders such as depression, anxiety, stress, or low self-esteem.
Furthermore, many people who use addictive substances have a family history of substance use, were victims of child abuse or neglect, or have relationship problems.
Typically, substance use disorders are accompanied by one or more mental health disorders.
Why Is Detox Alone Not a Solution?
Detox is a process that allows the body to cleanse itself from toxic, addictive chemicals. During detox, physical and emotional withdrawal symptoms can be difficult to withstand. However, after detoxing, withdrawal symptoms subside or are significantly reduced.
With the absence of intensive cravings, the individual can enter a rehab program and focus on healing the psychological aspects of addiction. Research shows that people who complete detox but don’t seek rehab fail to maintain sobriety. They relapse because the underlying causes of their addiction were not treated.
How Does Counseling in Drug Rehab Help?
Counseling is an integral part of all comprehensive drug rehab programs. It is a form of therapy that focuses on the underlying causes of substance use. Counselors provide evidence-based practices with understanding and empathy in a non-judgmental, safe environment.
Overall, counseling in rehab helps clients identify the root causes of their substance use and develop effective coping strategies for relapse prevention. Here are some of the types of counseling in drug rehab:
- Individual Counseling – Clients meet one-on-one with a counselor to talk privately about their struggles and concerns. During the sessions, counselors use guided therapeutic modalities such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Motivational Interviewing, and Mindfulness Therapy as part of a customized treatment plan. The therapies help clients identify triggers, explore the reasons why they use drugs or alcohol, and develop healthier, positive thoughts and behaviors.
- Group Therapy – Group therapy sessions allow clients to connect with others with similar circumstances. They benefit from a sense of community that fosters learning and mutual support. Group therapy also helps clients improve their communication techniques and social skills.
- Family Involvement – Addiction is often described as a family disease since it affects not only the person addicted to drugs but also their family members. Family therapy is effective in helping family members understand their role in a loved one’s recovery process. Thus, family members interact better as a group, improving family dynamics.
Addiction counseling in drug rehab also provides support and understanding to clients who are struggling with loneliness, guilt, anger, or fear during recovery. At Design for Change, our certified, experienced counselors treat each client with the compassion and respect they deserve.
Benefits of Counseling in Drug Rehab
The most enduring benefit of addiction counseling is that it extends beyond the treatment program. During counseling, clients gain skills and coping techniques that will be vital as they return to society.
Professional addiction counseling in rehab helps a person reach their recovery goals in several ways:
- Improves Self-Awareness – When a person understands their thought patterns, emotions, and triggers, they can cultivate methods to break the negative patterns to make positive changes.
- Strengthens Coping Mechanisms – In early recovery, a person will struggle with stress, cravings, and difficult emotions. Their skills learned in addiction counseling make it less likely that triggers will result in relapse.
- Assists in Rebuilding Relationships – Through counseling, clients learn skills that will help them rebuild trust, engage in open communication with loved ones, and set healthy boundaries.
- Relapse Prevention – By addressing the root causes of substance use, counseling plays a crucial role in preventing relapse. Clients gain the skills and tools necessary to navigate society as sober individuals.
Design for Change provides a range of counseling modalities that incorporate holistic. evidence-based therapies such as:
- Motivational Interviewing
- Psychodrama Therapy
- Bio-Sound Therapy
- Experiential Therapy
- Neurofeedback Therapy
- Music and Art Therapy
- Mindfulness and Meditation
- Nutritional Education
- Exercise, Yoga, Relaxation Techniques
- Acupuncture, Massage
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy
- Medication-Assisted Treatment
- Group and Individual Counseling
- Dual-Diagnosis Treatment
- Relapse Prevention Strategies
- Family Therapy
- Aftercare Services
Our counselors are certified and many have experienced addiction and recovery firsthand. Their knowledge helps them better relate to what our clients struggle with during treatment. They can be trusted to provide sensitive, professional support and guidance.
Learn More About Counseling in Drug Rehab at Design for Change Recovery
Design for Change Recovery understands the complex issues a person must deal with during addiction and recovery. For this reason, we take the time to create a personalized treatment plan based on each client’s unique situation.
If you need treatment for substance abuse, contact our Lancaster, CA facility to learn more about our programs. We are a fully licensed and JCAHO-accredited facility. This means we consistently uphold the highest standards in client care and safety. We will help you reach your recovery goals to enjoy a healthier, more fulfilling lifestyle.
psychologytoday.com/ – Addiction Counseling